Last summer I discovered that I have a gluten intolerance (which really sucks ’cause this old girl loves to bake – if you haven’t noticed). I haven’t had wheat anything since last June!! I was REALLY missing desserts. I spent this entire summer selling baked goods at the farmers market and couldn’t even taste one single thing I made!! So enough was enough and I finally figured out how to make gluten free pastry!!!
You can still use this recipe if you want it with a regular crust using wheat flour (although it’s impossible to tell this one isn’t made from wheat) You can find a recipe for regular crust HERE.
The first piece I had of this pie was pure bliss!
I am planting some test plots of different types of wheat this year to see if it is the actual gluten or the processing that is making me ill. I figure that if it still makes me ill it won’t go to waste. I could feed it to my family, sell it, or use it for chicken feed and bedding.
But for now I can EAT PIE!
Gluten Free – Mile High Lemon Meringue Pie – Recipe
- FIRST MAKE THE GLUTEN FREE FLOUR MIX
- (Extra can be saved for other recipes)
- 6 cups Brown Rice Flour
- 2 cup Potato Starch
- 1 cup Tapioca Starch
- TO MAKE CRUST:
- 1 Egg
- 2 tablespoons White vinegar
- 4 cups Gluten Free Flour Mix
- 1 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 3 tsp Xanthum Gum
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1 tablespoon White sugar
- 2 cups Vegetable Shortening
- (This will make crust for about 4 single crust pies - If you have left overs it can be frozen)
- 1 cups White Sugar
- 6 tbsp Cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 cups Water
- 6 Egg Yolks
- 1 cup Lemon Juice
- 1/4 cup Butter
- 6 - Egg Whites
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- Pinch of Cream of Tartar
- Beat egg and vinegar in a measuring cup. Add enough cold water to make 1 cup of the liquid mixture and set aside.
- In a seperate bowl combine the dry ingredients.
- Cut in crisco to the dry mixture and whisk.
- Pour half of the liquid on top and stir gently with a knife.
- Add remaining liquid.
- Stir with a knife and then continue with your hands.
- Make 4 balls.
- Because gluten free pie dough is almost impossible to roll, you need to press 1 ball of dough into a deep dish pie plate - using some gluten free flour on your finger tips to stop it from sticking to your hands.
- Mix all ingredient except the butter in a saucepan
- Over medium heat and stirring constantly cook until thick and creamy
- Add butter and stir until melted
- Pour through a strainer to remove any lumps
- Whip egg whites and sugar with a pinch of cream of tartar until stiff peaks form
- TO ASSEMBLE:
- Bake the pie crust at 375 degrees for 30 minutes. Let cool - I leave mine on the counter overnight.
- Pour the filling into the crust
- Top the pie with ALL of the meringue. Make sure you take it too the edges of the pie plate or it will shrink.
- Bake in oven at 350 degrees until the meringue is a beautiful golden brown
The Hungry Hollow Copyright 2012