January 7, 2012 in Appetizers, Just Talking, Recipes by Cathy
Here is my award winning appetizer recipe!
Look for it in the Season 1, Kraft Canada Real Women of Philadelphia COOKBOOK this Spring!!!
Basil Fried Green Tomato Crostini – WINNER!
- 1/2 Baguette
- 3 Small green tomatoes
- 1/4 cup(s) of Buttermilk
- 1/2 cup(s) of Bread Crumbs
- 1/2 250 gram package PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese
- 2 tbsp. of Fresh Basil, chopped
- 1/4 tsp. of Garlic Powder
- 2 tbsp. of Salted Butter
- Slice you baguette into 12 equal pieces.
- Add 1 Tbsp of the butter to a frying pan.
- Over medium heat fry both sides of the baguettes until they are golden brown. Set aside.
- In a bowl mix together the cream cheese, basil and garlic powder. Set aside.
- Slice the tomatoes into 1/4 inch slices. (If you cannot get green tomatoes you can use ripe tomatoes - increase the thickness to 1/2 inch)
- Place another tbsp of butter into a frying pan over medium heat.
- Dip the tomatoes, one at a time, into the buttermilk and then into bread crumbs.
- Fry tomatoes until fork tender.
- Sprinkle tomatoes with a little salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Spread cream cheese mixture on toasts and top with a fried green tomato. Garnish with Basil leaf.
- Double the recipe if desired.
The Hungry Hollow Copyright 2012
World’s BEST Apple Chutney!